Kaiba Corp Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay)

The Detonator
    The Detonator
    #39 Utopia Admin
    #39 Utopia Admin

Australia
    Posts63
    Money31
    Reputation0
    Join date2011-04-19
    Rank Points0 Rank Record1-4

Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay) Empty Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay)

Post by The Detonator Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:31 am

NOTE: Missing the Timing is a very difficult concept to get your head around and really is only for expert gameplay.

Many duelists do not use this rule when they duel and i have played many matches where even i have let this rule slide. Nonetheless though this is a rule and part of the game mechanics and it must be learnt if you want to take your dueling skills to the next level, whether it be in real life or here online. Once again i will say: Missing the Timing is a difficult concept so don't worry if you do not fully understand what it is written here. If you want to ask any questions feel free to PM me about this or reply to this post. I will do my best to try and make this understandable.

Trigger Effects:
    Sometimes a Trigger Effect will state that "when" a condition happens, you "can" activate its effect. In this case, you are only allowed to activate the effect when the condition being met was the last thing to happen in the game. These types of Trigger effects are called "Optional Trigger Effects" and you must choose to activate these effects yourself, they do not automatically activate.

Optional Trigger Effects:
    It is possible to miss the timing with Optional Trigger Effects. Unlike Mandatory Trigger effects, an Optional Trigger Effect "misses the timing" if something else happens immediately after the effect or if something else is still resolving after the condition is being met. This is best demonstrated with an example.

For example:
    Peten the Dark Clown follows this rule in its effect text:

As you can see, you have a CHOICE (indicated by "when... you can..." text) to activate Peten the Dark Clown's effect. Your choice can only be made at the time that it is sent to Graveyard. Let's have a look:

Example 1, Chains:
    Player A controls Peten the Dark Clown.
    Chain Link 1: Player A activates Fissure.
    Chain Link 2: Player B discard 1 card and activates Raigeki Break.
    --- Chain Resolves Backwards ---
    Chain Link 2: Raigeki Break resolves, Peten the Dark Clown is destroyed.
    >>You must make a choice to activate Peten's effect but you cannot interrupt the chain, resolution continues<<
    Chain Link 1: Fissure resolves and destroys 1 of Player B's monsters.

During the resolution of the above chain, Raigeki Break resolves first and destroys Peten the Dark Clown. As stated his condition has been met but he cannot interrupt the chain. Fissure resolves straight afterward and the chain fully resolves, Peten's effect was missed and he misses the timing.

Example 2: Tributing (this also applies to Synchro Summoning, Fusion Summoning, or Ritual Summoning):
    Step 1. You tribute a Peten the Dark Clown and send it to the Graveyard for a Tribute Summon.
    >>You must make a choice to activate Peten's effect but you cannot interrupt a Summon, the Summon continues<<
    Step 2. You Normal Summon a Destiny Hero - Dasher.
    Step 3. Your opponent has a chance to activate a card in response to your Summon before you get to make a choice.
    Step 4. Destiny Hero Dasher's Summon is resolved.

Tributing a monster with an Optional Trigger Effect for a Tribute/Ritual Summon, or using them in a Synchro or Fusion Summon also prevents their effects from activating. The very last thing to happen is the summon and this causes the timing window to close immediately.

NOTE: This only applies to effects that state: "When...you can...".
    - It does not apply to any effects that state "If...you can..." like "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem".
    - It does not apply to any effects that state "After...you can..." like "Voltanis the Adjudicator".
    Effects like these can never miss the timing.

NOTE: that Optional Trigger Effects can also be found on Spell & Trap Cards.

Mandatory Trigger Effects:
    On a side note let me explain why Mandatory Trigger Effects never miss the timing. These effects do not have the "you can..." option in their effect texts which means the effect must activate eventually.

For Example:
    Player A controls Sangan.
    Chain Link 1: Player A activates Fissure.
    Chain Link 2: Player B discard 1 card and activates Raigeki Break.
    --- Chain Resolves Backwards ---
    Chain Link 2: Raigeki Break resolves, Sangan is destroyed.
    >>Sangan's effect needs to activate, but the chain is still resolving<<
    Chain Link 1: Fissure resolves and destroys 1 of Player B's monsters.

During the resolution of the above chain, Sangan's condition has been met but as we know can't interrupt the chain. When the chain is completed however, because Sangan's effect is Mandatory, it activates and starts a new chain as Chain Link 1.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:58 pm