Kaiba Corp Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Priority (Advanced Gamplay)

The Detonator
    The Detonator
    #39 Utopia Admin
    #39 Utopia Admin

Australia
    Posts63
    Money31
    Reputation0
    Join date2011-04-19
    Rank Points0 Rank Record1-4

Priority (Advanced Gamplay) Empty Priority (Advanced Gamplay)

Post by The Detonator Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:58 am

Priority plays a big role in the way the game is played and the way you as a duelist can take advantage of dangerous situations. It is important to understand all the key concepts of Priority especially for when you duel at an Advanced Level.

I. What is Priority?
    II. Priority "Stealer's"

I. What is Priority?
    Priority is defined as: A player's 'right' to be able to activate his/her effect, ensuring its spot on chain link 1.

When a player Summons a monster that has an Ignition Effect [Spell Speed 1] (an effect that has no restriction on when it can be activated during your Main Phase) the turn player can call Priority and activate that effect immediately. The effect of that monster will then become Chain Link 1 in all cases.

For Example:
    Player A Summons Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind.
    - Player A retains Priority.
    Chain Link 1: Player A calls Priority and activates Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind's effect. S/he selects an opponents face-up monster as a target.
    - Priority is now passed and Player B can respond.
    Chain Link 2: Player B discards 1 card as a cost and activates Phoenix Wing Wind Blast.
    - Priority is passed back to Player A.
    - Player A does not wish to activate any cards.
    - Player A passes priority to Player B.
    - Player B does not wish to activate any cards.
    - Both players have agreed to resolve the chain.

-------Chain Resolves Backwards-------
    Chain Link 2: Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind is returned to the top of its owner's deck
    Chain Link 1: Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind's effect resolves and the targeted monster has its ATK/DEF halved.

If Player A did not call Priority for Gale's effect then after Phoenix Wing Wind Blast has been activated it is impossible to chain Gale's effect due to Ignition Effects being Spell Speed 1. To avoid this situation as a duelist, always call Priority before you Summon your monster so your opponent doesn't rush into moves.

Each time a card is placed on the chain (as we saw in the example), priority is shifted to the opponent. Therefore, you cannot activate 2 of your own cards as chain link 1 and 2 when calling priority unless your opponent has no response to the first card you placed on the chain.

Note: It is not the cards that have priority, it is the player who has priority. The turn player always starts with priority and your opponent can never call priority on your turn.

II. Priority "Stealer's"

<>
    Paradox
    Paradox
    Assistant

Posts60
    Money0
    Reputation0
    Join date2011-04-24
    LocationBosnia and Herzegowina, Sarajevo
    Rank Points5 Global RankUnranked
    Rank Record2-2

Priority (Advanced Gamplay) Empty Re: Priority (Advanced Gamplay)

Post by Paradox Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Nice article but something else bothers me.
    if i have gk's desc face-up on field, and than normal summon gk's assailant (for e.g.). do i have priority right for DESCENDAN't eff, so if opponents chains BTH (to assailant), i get desc's priority, tribute desc and destroy one card?
    overd0se.KayKay
    overd0se.KayKay
    Assistant

Germany
    Posts42
    Money0
    Reputation0
    Join date2011-04-26
    Global RankUnranked

Post by overd0se.KayKay Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Priority tells you who can activate an effect at any certain point in the game. Note that cards never have priority'; it is the players who have priority. The Turn Player always starts with priority.

This is your answer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content